ORGANIC HEMP MATS FOR MICROGREENS
Organic hemp growing mats are a popular method of growing sprouts and microgreens. This hemp mat is made in Denmark from all organic, Danish cultivated hemp fibre.
To use the mat, you first soak it in clean water. Then you place the mat in a flat bottomed tray. Next you spread the seeds on top of the mat and then simply keep the mat a little moist until you harvest the sprouts or microgreens.
To keep the mat and seeds/sprouts moist, you need to water a little every morning and evening. Apart from that all you need to do is wait.
Because this mat is made from clean, washed hemp fibre, it is a very hygienic way to grow microgreens in your own kitchen.
THE PURPOSE OF THE HEMP MAT
An organic hemp growing mat for sprouts and microgreens has 4 purposes:
To keep the roots moist and still let it get oxygen between rinses.
That your plants can grow their roots into the pad and thus grow upright. This gives the leaf tops the same amount of light.
The mat allow for the roots to grow downwards. That way you can more easily rinse the roots with nutrient-rich water and avoid the rest of the plant getting under water.
That you can easily move the plants and or harvest the parts of the plants you want without harming the others.
For these four reasons a hemp mat will provide an easy cultivation of microgreens. If you wish to save the expence for the mat, you can in stead choose to grow your microgreens and sprouts aeroponically in a SproutPearl sprouter. Learn more >
MICROGREEN SEEDS FOR THE ORGANIC HEMP MAT
The mat is created for growing all types of microgreens in your own kitchen. You can find the selection of organic seeds under SEEDS>
The selection of seeds varies according to my experience and the supplier’s selection, but these seeds are good for Micro Green:
Broccoli · Fenugreek · Endive · Fennel · Cress · Mizuna · Radish · Rapeseed · Arugula · Mustard · Sunflower.
HOW TO USE FERTILIZER WITH A HEMP GROWING MAT
Your plants feed on the nutrients in the seed for the first eight days of their growth. After day eight, the industry is exhausted. Since you grow microgreens for up to 12 days to be able to harvest larger plants, the plants need extra fertilizer from day 8 until harvest. See fertilizer for micro green>
Micro green hemp mat does not nourish your micro green. This makes it easy for you to dose fertilizer precisely to your plants. See the method below.
DANISH MICROGREEN HEMP MAT MATERIAL
The quality of hemp mats can easily fluctuate from one area of the mat to another and from delivery to the next. This is not the case with this hemp mat. This brand of hemp mat has been used for micro green production of large nurseries in Europe for several years. The mat is produced from pure hemp fibers and is consistent in quality. This gives you a stable cultivation on the mat, which makes it easier for you to grow microgreens successfully.
HOW TO GROW MICROGREENS ON A HEMP MAT
This is a short guide. You can see the longer guide with pictures here >
- Measure the amount of seed to match the size of your hemp mat. The seeds should be in a single layer and there should be some space between the seeds. Then pour the seeds into a clean glass and fill the glass with water so that the seeds are completely under water. Let the seeds soak for as long as shown on the seed bag – typically 8 hours.
- Wash the dish or plate and your hands thoroughly and rinse with clean water. Lay the mat so that it ends inside the edge of the dish / plate. Soak the mat in cool, clean water. Pour off excess water after 5 minutes.
- Rinse the soaked seeds with clean water by emptying and filling the glass once. Then spread the wet seeds on the mat.
- Let the seeds germinate without a lamp for the first 5 days, as the plants can only absorb the light when they have leaves.
- Rinse the mat with clean water for the next 6 days. After day 6, mix a little nourishment in the rinsing water.
Find organic fertilizer for microgreens >
- Harvest your microgreens by cutting the plants a few milimeters above the hemp mat. When you grown on hemp, you only eat stems and leaves on the plants. You put the roots and used mat in the green biobag, as it is 100% natural.
You will find more thorough cultivation instructions for microgreens on the mat in HOW TO GROW >
HOW TO RECYCLE THE ORGANIC HEMP GROWING MAT
You can only use the mat once because the plant roots grow close down between the fibers. Therefore, you can not clean the mat of roots after cultivation. You must therefore discard the mat with the roots after harvest.
The positive is that the mats used are 100% natural material. Therefore, you can put used mats in the green garbage bag. Alternatively, you can grow your micro green without a mat. See next section.
HOW TO GROW MICROGREENS WITHOUT A MAT
If you want to save the expence of a mat, then you can instead grow the plants directly in a SproutPearl. This cultivation method is even more environmentally friendly, as you can eat the whole plant including roots, and you can use the SproutPearl again and again for many years.